Monday, August 13, 2012

Mid-Town Italian

So last entry was about pizza, so you might be wondering, "isn't pizza Italian?"  Okay, so maybe, depending on who you talk to but either way, can you really eat too much Italian food?  Exactly!  So here's a few places in the general Mid-Town area that we've been to recently I'd like to share with you.

So first of all, let me step back a minute and say that the point of this blog is to share positive experiences.  We're not doing this to run anyone down unless the service is rude or we feel morally obligate to warn you.

So having said that, our first stop is Dino's at 645 N. McLean.  Just north on McLean from Parkway near the zoo.  The service was friendly, the end.





Next, and not far away at all, is Fino's at 1853 Madison, http://finosmemphis.com/.  The first thing I want to tell you is that there is quite a bit more room inside than you might think.  There is easily room for 30 people.  I don't have a picture, but there might be as much room as Dino's in the picture above.  I was pleasantly surprised.  I've often wanted to go there, but it seemed so small and never busy.  Quite a misperception on my part. They do a good lunch business, and there are plenty of cars and parking around the corner behind the Gilmore.


There's a walk up counter at Fino's and the service was friendly and patient.  The wife had the Acquisto, which is a Ham and Salami sandwich with generous olive dressing.  She really enjoyed it.  I had a meatball sub, and it was awesome.  The bread is firm and crusty on the outside, but fresh and soft on the inside.  I love that.  Looking for an Italian sandwich.  This is the winner.

The prices were reasonable.  I also noticed that Fino's has a full list of frozen pizzas, pastas, etc. that you can pick up to take home.  I will do that in the near future.

Again, not far way, is the secret of the week.  I say that because it seems a secret to most, but it does a hearty business from a small location.   I'm talking about Little Italy at 1495 Union.  Little Italy is near Methodist Central almost across the street from Danver's.


Now, Little Italy is considerably smaller inside, but still has about six tables.  Somehow they always seem almost full, but a table is available.  Two things you must try:  the garlic knots, and the meatball stromboli.  I know, the meatball again.  What can I say?  I've had the pizza here a couple of times as well, and it is great New York style pizza.

So try Fino's and Little Italy and let us know what you think!

ps.  The picky teen likes Little Italy

No comments:

Post a Comment